SPAIN will not block any final Brexit deal over Gibraltar’s future, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez confirms.
“Gibraltar will no longer be a problem in arriving at a Brexit deal,” said the Spanish leader at the EU leaders summit in Brussels last week, where he spoke with Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May.
Sanchez added: “If we reach an agreement (soon), great. If not, it doesn’t matter because we’ve got time to reach one.”
This means that Gibraltar will leave the European Union on 29 March alongside the UK, although there are still a few issues to iron out as part of a deal before Brexit comes.
Yesterday the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo flew to London to meet with lords and clarify the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain on key issues like the tobacco trade and citizens’ rights.
Picardo said: “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed,” but added that he feels ‘optimistic’ that a deal will be reached.
He is in the capital for ‘Gibraltar day’ today – a celebration of business and political links with the UK – and will appear in front of The House of Lords EU Committee tomorrow where he will give evidence in a meeting consulting on the final details of Brexit.
Picardo will also answer questions on his cooperation with Andalucia’s government and the Campo de Gibraltar region in order to serve the interests of cross-border workers and the communities on either side.
In the UK’s overall Brexit negotiations with the EU, a hard border in Ireland is thought to be the principal remaining sticking point.
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58