SPAIN will not block any final Brexit deal over Gibraltar’s future, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez confirms.
“Gibraltar will no longer be a problem in arriving at a Brexit deal,” said the Spanish leader at the EU leaders summit in Brussels last week, where he spoke with Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May.
Sanchez added: “If we reach an agreement (soon), great. If not, it doesn’t matter because we’ve got time to reach one.”
This means that Gibraltar will leave the European Union on 29 March alongside the UK, although there are still a few issues to iron out as part of a deal before Brexit comes.
Yesterday the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo flew to London to meet with lords and clarify the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain on key issues like the tobacco trade and citizens’ rights.
Picardo said: “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed,” but added that he feels ‘optimistic’ that a deal will be reached.
He is in the capital for ‘Gibraltar day’ today – a celebration of business and political links with the UK – and will appear in front of The House of Lords EU Committee tomorrow where he will give evidence in a meeting consulting on the final details of Brexit.
Picardo will also answer questions on his cooperation with Andalucia’s government and the Campo de Gibraltar region in order to serve the interests of cross-border workers and the communities on either side.
In the UK’s overall Brexit negotiations with the EU, a hard border in Ireland is thought to be the principal remaining sticking point.
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59
- CATALUNYA CRISIS: ‘I am a political prisoner’ says Catalan leader as 12 separatists go on trial in Spain - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 20:48
- ‘I MISS MY BROTHER’: Sister of British expat filmmaker in Spain speaks out after balcony horror plunge puts him in coma - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 18:42