SPAIN will not block any final Brexit deal over Gibraltar’s future, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez confirms.
“Gibraltar will no longer be a problem in arriving at a Brexit deal,” said the Spanish leader at the EU leaders summit in Brussels last week, where he spoke with Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May.
Sanchez added: “If we reach an agreement (soon), great. If not, it doesn’t matter because we’ve got time to reach one.”
This means that Gibraltar will leave the European Union on 29 March alongside the UK, although there are still a few issues to iron out as part of a deal before Brexit comes.
Yesterday the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo flew to London to meet with lords and clarify the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain on key issues like the tobacco trade and citizens’ rights.
Picardo said: “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed,” but added that he feels ‘optimistic’ that a deal will be reached.
He is in the capital for ‘Gibraltar day’ today – a celebration of business and political links with the UK – and will appear in front of The House of Lords EU Committee tomorrow where he will give evidence in a meeting consulting on the final details of Brexit.
Picardo will also answer questions on his cooperation with Andalucia’s government and the Campo de Gibraltar region in order to serve the interests of cross-border workers and the communities on either side.
In the UK’s overall Brexit negotiations with the EU, a hard border in Ireland is thought to be the principal remaining sticking point.
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49