MELANOMA is on the march in Spain, according to a top dermatologist.
Half of all 65-year-olds will have suffered skin cancer in some form with 25% developing tumours.
Melanoma, the least common but most aggressive variant is responsible for 90% of skin cancer deaths and in recent years cases have increased.
However according to Susana Puig, head of dermatology at Barcelona’s Hospital Clinic, survival rates are improving ‘spectacularly’ – from just two per cent to 50%, thanks to early detection and new research on immunity and genetics.
Another key factor is prevention, since 90% of skin cancers result from sunburn and over-exposure to UV radiation via sunbeds.
While most cancers appear on visible body parts like the neck or head, they can also attack feet and nails, which makes early detection more difficult.
The Dermatoscopy is one non-intrusive technique which uses a lens to detect skin abnormalities.
- Spain’s top oncology scientist cures pancreatic cancer in mice giving hope for future human treatment - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14
- TREASURE HUNT: How foreigners helped Spain curate its top 10 most priceless artefacts - 3 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- After Lavapies was crowned Spain’s coolest neighbourhood here are the top 10 other hip hoods worth a visit - 29 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- 9 Spanish Christmas traditions you don’t want to miss this year - 25 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain is least ‘culturally arrogant’ country in Europe but here are 10 reasons why you SHOULD say ‘Viva España!’ - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 18:00
- 10 things you may not know about Spain’s Michelin star chef Dani Garcia - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- More than 50% in Spain fear climate change is ‘threatening’ survival of human race - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 12:15
- Susana Diaz denies illegal funding of PSOE and refuses to apologise in fiery argument with PP - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:45
- Police officer ‘almost left blind’ receives 20 stitches after being smashed in face on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 18:01
- Swedish member of Somali terror cell ‘Death Troops’ arrested in Spain’s Malaga - 9 Nov, 2018 @ 15:34