THE Ryanair cabin crew who ‘slept on the floor’ in Malaga airport have been sacked by the airline for gross misconduct.
When the crew’s flight to Porto was diverted from Malaga on October 14, a shocking picture appeared to show the crew asleep on the floor while they waited.
At least 20 crew members were stranded in the airport when their plane left, but the six staff who were pictured lying on the floor ‘asleep’ have now been given their marching orders by Ryanair.
A Ryanair spokesman said: “The crew spent a short period of time in the crew room before being moved to a VIP lounge, and returned to Porto the next day.
As Ryanair made the sackings on Tuesday, they claimed the picture’s circulation in the media had damaged their reputation and ’caused an irreparable breach of trust with these six persons’.
When the picture emerged the Portuguese union, SNPVAC said crew were ‘without access to food, drinks and even a place to sit down, as there were only eight seats available for the crew’.
The multiple sackings come just weeks after two Ryanair planes nearly crashed over Spain, as they were only 122 meters apart vertically.
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08