GIBRALTARIAN Jensen Duarte was charged with attempted murder, but has today been found guilty of the lesser crime of wounding with intent.
A resident of Edinburgh House, Duarte has been remanded in custody until November 30, pending a pre-sentencing report.
It comes after Duarte stabbed a 44-year-old fellow Gibraltarian in a violent brawl shortly after midnight on 22 November 2017 in the Waterport of the Rock.
During the trial at Gibraltar Supreme Court, Duarte said he ‘wasn’t too sure’ if he had stabbed his victim, despite the man being hospitalised with a punctured lung.
The court heard from medical experts that the 10cm deep chest wound could have been ‘life threatening’.
Judges Ricky Rhoda QC and Kerrin Drago, representing the Crown, came to their decision earlier today, after they had accused Duarte of lying about not stabbing the man.
Duarte claimed he felt pressure under police questioning and that when he is nervous he doesn’t ‘think straight’.
A police statement admitted that ‘the jury deliberated for ninety minutes before returning a guilty verdict’.
Puisne Judge Karen Ramagge-Prescott presided over the trial.
- Gibraltar to install 17 speed bumps on Rock to protect ‘vulnerable’ baby monkeys from drivers - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 13:44
- Number of Brits on Costa del Sol increases for first time since before Brexit - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:14
- Man in Spain arrested over double knife attack at Ryanair check-in desk that saw woman stabbed in ear - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:33
- Tourism companies in Spain outraged at being handed limits on daily beach visitors with some as low as 250 per day - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 16:05
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33