GIBRALTARIAN Jensen Duarte was charged with attempted murder, but has today been found guilty of the lesser crime of wounding with intent.
A resident of Edinburgh House, Duarte has been remanded in custody until November 30, pending a pre-sentencing report.
It comes after Duarte stabbed a 44-year-old fellow Gibraltarian in a violent brawl shortly after midnight on 22 November 2017 in the Waterport of the Rock.
During the trial at Gibraltar Supreme Court, Duarte said he ‘wasn’t too sure’ if he had stabbed his victim, despite the man being hospitalised with a punctured lung.
The court heard from medical experts that the 10cm deep chest wound could have been ‘life threatening’.
Judges Ricky Rhoda QC and Kerrin Drago, representing the Crown, came to their decision earlier today, after they had accused Duarte of lying about not stabbing the man.
Duarte claimed he felt pressure under police questioning and that when he is nervous he doesn’t ‘think straight’.
A police statement admitted that ‘the jury deliberated for ninety minutes before returning a guilty verdict’.
Puisne Judge Karen Ramagge-Prescott presided over the trial.
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59