A total of 53,359 homes were acquired by foreigners in the first half of 2018.
The massive figure dwarfs the 33,000 sales recorded in the same period of 2007, when Spain’s property market was at its peak.
And, no surprise, the British continue to lead the way, accounting for a record 7,613 purchases, up 8.8% on 2017.
That’s according to the latest official figures from Spain’s notaries showing that 14% of all foreign buyers were British.
Second up come the French, who bought 4,211 properties (a drop of 5% on last year) and the Germans, who bought 4,138 homes, some 2% less than last year.
When it comes to buying trends it turns out that the Irish, Danish – and most interestingly, the Moroccans – are the fastest growing nationalities.
Spicing up the market, Moroccans bought 3,662 properties, a growth of 29% on last year, while the Danes were up by 18% and the Irish 25%.
Romanians meanwhile continue to be a strong market having bought 3,872 homes.
Destination-wise, Valencia was the favourite destination for investors, accounting for a third of all foreign sales, with 15,613 sales.
It was the region with the highest year-on-year growth at 16.7%.
Andalucia came in second with 8.2% of the foreign market (9,737 sales), followed by Catalunya with 7,570 sales, unsurprisingly a 5.3% decline from the same period last year, much to do with current political tension.
The fifth highest destination was Madrid, where foreign market sales increased by 5.4% (4,911 purchases).
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27