CHINA has secured a lucrative jamon deal with Spain to protect itself from the $250 billion (€220 billion) of trade tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump.
President Xi Jinping flew to Spain for a three-day state visit last week, where he signed around 20 government and business agreements, including one to export on-the-bone legs of Iberian ham to China.
In a meeting with Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez at Madrid’s City Hall, the Chinese premier said he wanted to import $10 trillion (€8 trillion) worth of goods over the next five years.
The Chinese president described his country as being at a ‘crossroads’ in their economy, as he vowed to increase imports of jamon, something considered a luxury product in China.
Spanish jamon producers will now look to cash in off the back of the deal, by expanding exports to China, the world’s top pork consumer.
Xi said: “In economic terms, we need to decide if we are going to follow the economic globalisation and free market or if we are going to choose unilateralism and protectionism.”
It comes as Spanish exports to China increased by 28% last year to reach €5.7 billion.
A Spanish government source did however reveal that Madrid would not sign up to Beijing’s Belt and Road Initiative, a development that links several of China’s global infrastructure projects.
Xi, who is the first Chinese president to visit Spain on a state visit for 13 years, will now travel to a G-20 leaders’ summit in Argentina, and then on to Panama and Portugal.
- Man arrested after threatening woman with machine gun, pistol and bow and arrow in Spain’s Andalucia - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 11:37
- Spain dominates World’s Best 50 Restaurants list with three Spanish kitchens in top 10 - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 10:56
- Spandau Ballet’s Steve Norman holds meet and greet for fans in Spain’s Andalucia THIS WEEKEND - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 08:48
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30