ALMOST half of Spaniards want to get rid of their monarchy, a new questionnaire has found.
A YouGov poll for the Huffington Post found that 48% of Spain favours a republic compared to just 35% who want to keep the royal family.
As Spain celebrated 40 years of its constitution on Thursday, the study also revealed that a majority of Spaniards would like a vote on the future of the monarchy.
The other 17% chose not to comment on proposed changes to the first article of the Spanish constitution, which says a parliamentary monarchy is ‘the political form of the Spanish State’.
The poll of 1,002 people was conducted between November 2 and 5.
Spain’s young were the most vehement in their support of a republic, with 59% of 18-24-year-olds saying ‘no’ to King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia.
Felipe had initially restored some credibility to Spanish royalty, following the abdication of his father Juan Carlos I in 2014.
However, since the bearded king expressed negative views about a Catalunyan independence challenge, his popularity appeared to dwindle somewhat.
It is no surprise therefore that the same YouGov poll found that 64% in Spain’s northeastern region voted for a republic.
As a couple though, the Spanish royals are still popular and Letizia is frequently lauded in the media for her stylistic and youthful appearance, relative to other queens.
- Dead body of ‘clothed’ middle-aged man found on beach in southern Spain - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 20:15
- Pedro Sanchez leads tributes to 14-year-old killed in motorcycle race in Spain’s Andalucia - 25 Mar, 2019 @ 11:25
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43