ANDY Murray has said he will retire after this year’s Wimbledon, but fears an injury in the Australian Open next week could end his career.
The 31-year-old Scot, who has been struggling after hip surgery, was in tears when he told journalists: “I’m not sure I’m able to play through the pain for another four or five months.”
The two-time Wimbledon champion is set to play Spaniard Roberto Bautista in the tournament next week.
Murray has never won the Grand Slam, which takes place at Melbourne Park, despite reaching the final five times, the last time being in 2016.
Meanwhile Spain’s Rafael Nadal lead tributes to Murray’s brilliant career as he said: “You don’t know how much we are going to miss you, you are an example of a great athlete and person.”
Murray’s pro tennis journey began in 2000 when he left home – still a teenager – to train at Barcelona’s world-famous Casal-Sanchez Academy.
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58
- Spain’s Supreme Court blocks reburial of General Franco just days before body due to be dug up - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 17:49