ANDY Murray has said he will retire after this year’s Wimbledon, but fears an injury in the Australian Open next week could end his career.
The 31-year-old Scot, who has been struggling after hip surgery, was in tears when he told journalists: “I’m not sure I’m able to play through the pain for another four or five months.”
The two-time Wimbledon champion is set to play Spaniard Roberto Bautista in the tournament next week.
Murray has never won the Grand Slam, which takes place at Melbourne Park, despite reaching the final five times, the last time being in 2016.
Meanwhile Spain’s Rafael Nadal lead tributes to Murray’s brilliant career as he said: “You don’t know how much we are going to miss you, you are an example of a great athlete and person.”
Murray’s pro tennis journey began in 2000 when he left home – still a teenager – to train at Barcelona’s world-famous Casal-Sanchez Academy.
- Hard Rock Cafe confirm second Costa del Sol restaurant WILL open in March, featuring Cher’s trousers and Bon Jovi guitar - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 18:27
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57