ANDALUCIA is expected to see increasing numbers of flu cases as epidemic levels rise this week.
The health authorities are warning people to take precautions and be aware of the sharp rise in flu cases after an increasing number of hospitalisations.
It is moving down through Spain and is already above average in the Balearics, Navarra, Catalunya and Melilla.
Coinciding with plummeting temperatures in the region, those most at risk are the over 65s who have been the target of a Ministry of Health campaign that began in October.
Fermín García Rodríguez of the Andalucian vaccine advisory committee warned that the flu is not ‘nonsense’ and if people do not take it seriously they ‘may be killed’.
Vaccination rates in Spain’s most populous region have increased 6% on last year, with a peak expected at the end of January.
Meanwhile, the Hospital Complex of Pontevedra in Galicia, which has admitted its first two cases and expects to see at least 100 more flu patients over the next week
It comes as the Andalucian Health Service has issued a warning about a shortage of GPs as those retiring are not being replaced.
- Caught live: Massive winner from UK’s most relevant band of the last few decades - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 20:42
- 11 new villages make it onto Spain’s ‘most beautiful’ list - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:40
- FAB FRESCOS: Spain has some of the best, but how many do you recognise? - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 10:51
- Maldonado’s Mijas is like nowhere else says Bill Anderson as just five are running the town council - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Benabola Hotel in Marbella gets a revamped roof terrace ready for the summer season - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- EXPANSION: Pole position as long-running expat agent opens fifth office in central Marbella - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:31
- Using Cryptocurrency as a Major Mode of Payment - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 07:58
- WATCH: Dramatic six-car pile-up blocks Marbella tunnel as Guardia Civil on scene - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:58
- Mallorca finca featured in New York Times - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:21
- World Trade Center Gibraltar celebrates two years of thriving international business - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 09:45