A MUSLIM community leader has condemned an alleged ISIS terrorist who was cuffed on the Costa del Sol.
President of the Sabinillas mosque, who asked to be referred to as Ahmed, insisted the Moroccan was not part of the local Muslim community.
“He is not part of Islam and he is not member of this mosque,” he told the Olive Press.
“Islam is about peace and love, not terrorism.”
The 27-year-old suspect, who was arrested during a dawn raid on his Manilva home, had allegedly been in direct contact with the terrorist group and had been planning to head to Syria to join their operation in the civil war there.
However he was unable to make the trip due to the group’s current loss of ground and recent setbacks and the fact that he could not guarantee the safety of his family in Spain.
According to investigators, he decided to stay in Spain and, if necessary, carry out a terrorist attack here.
ML had become particularly radical online in recent months and had pledged allegiance to the caliphate Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi and ISIS.
This, according to investigators, meant he was preparing to carry out his jihadist mission.
It is the same oath carried out by the majority of the terrorists behind recent attacks across Europe.
The shocking arrest comes after a succession of threats from ISIS, including a video which directly vowed to bring attacks to Spain’s costas, known for their high concentration of British and American tourists.
The suspect is being held without bail.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26