RESCUE teams have now begun drilling two tunnels in the efforts to reach two-year-old Julen who is stuck in a 107-metre deep well in Malaga.
The trapped tot has been stuck in the 20cm-wide well in Totalan since Sunday and will have been inside for 100 hours on Thursday.
One tunnel will run parallel to the well, while another will be constructed at a more horizontal angle.
On Thursday large metal pipes arrived that are to be used in the construction of the vertical tunnel.
Each tunnel would take 12 hours to construct under normal conditions, but with some rain forecast, the operation could prove more complicated.
“The important thing is to get to the site as soon as possible, by one option or another,” said Juan López Escobar, delegate of the College of Engineers of the South.
Meanwhile, firefighters have dispatched a camera down the borehole to film the conditions at the bottom.
New images show the entrance blocked by dirt and rock at around 73 metres, meaning rescuers cannot reach Julen.
The blockage was believed to have been caused by a small landslide when Julen originally fell into the well.
More to follow…
- Five Guardia Civil officers jailed in Spain for tobacco smuggling through Gibraltar - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:44
- WATCH: Dad in Spain pulls live parasite from daughter’s ‘cooked’ Mercadona fish forcing supermarket to defend seafood - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 11:20
- Costa del Sol police arrest young mum for trying to throw daughter, three, out of 10th floor apartment window - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 17:17
- Spanish navy boat with guns manned in war games with British off Gibraltar for second time in fortnight - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 11:24
- KISS AND TELL: From cave mamas to world records, Belinda Beckett chronicles the history of the snog - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 13:00
- Max Beach in Mijas taken over by Costa del Sol restaurant owners Metro Group - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 18:16
- Franco’s body WILL be dug up just hours after Spain’s Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 16:09
- Hacienda Beach in Estepona makes the perfect summer getaway and here’s why - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:12
- Liverpool players find time for fun on Marbella winter training trip despite ‘no sunlight’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:57
- Pedro Sanchez calls snap general election in Spain for April 28 - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 10:59