Military bosses have spent £23m on supplies to prepare for when the UK is set to leave the EU on March 29.
The preparations are called Operation Yellowhammer and are part of the government’s emergency planning.
It comes after fears have grown over the difficulties of importing and exporting daily goods after Brexit.
Ammunition, spare parts, fuel and food are being gathered at military bases in Gibraltar, Cyprus and the Falklands.
“An army marches on its stomach. If supply lines breakdown they struggle,” a source told Sky News.
Gibraltar routinely sees UK military operations on its territory and thousands of soldiers and sailors could be affected by a lack of supplies.
A Ministry of Defence spokesperson told Sky News that the UK is working to ‘ensure that essential defence tasks would not be affected by a no-deal Brexit’.
They added: “The Ministry of Defence routinely undertakes contingency planning, and it is absolutely right that the government ensures we are prepared and resourced for a range of scenarios when we leave the EU.”
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00