THE flu epidemic that has ravaged Spain has now made its way to the Andalucia.
The highest peak is expected in mid-February, with the rate in Malaga now 211 per 100,000.
Although the influenza death toll in Spain has already reached 12, the flu outbreak this year has been delayed by better weather.
In this outbreak the main viruses are both type A: AH1N1 and AH3.
The peak is expected to be less severe than in previous years.
Malaga is below the Andalucian average of 264 cases per 100,000.
Cordoba has the highest incidence rate with 544 per 100,000, while Sevilla has 267 and Almeria 155.
The vaccination campaign has ended, but the Public Health Service still recommend that high-risk groups like the over-64s are vaccinated.
Not to be confused with a common cold, the flu brings different symptoms, including muscle pain, a high fever (38.5-40 degrees) and headaches.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00