SOME 15 regions in Spain are on alert for extreme weather as storm Gabriel looks set to sweep the country.
The worst hit areas are facing up to 120 kilometers per hour winds and strong waves with heights of between 5 and 8 meters.
AEMET has issued Cantabria with an orange alert (significant risk) for waves of between 5 and 7 meters and maximum gusts of 110 kilometers per hour along the coast.
In Asturias and in the Basque Country there is an orange warning for maximum winds of 120 kilometers per hour in Picos de Europa and inland areas.
Navarra has also received an orange warning with maximum winds of 90 kilometers per hour with yellow alerts issued for wind and snow in the areas of the Pyrenees.
The Balearics, meanwhile, have an orange alert on the island of Menorca with waves of 4 meters.
Mallorca has a yellow warning with waves of three metres.
In Andalucia, Almeria has an orange warning for 90 km per hour winds in Nacimiento, Campo de Tabernas, Valle del Almanzora and Los Vélez.
Granada also has an orange alert for strong tides.
The provinces of Huesca (Aragón), Albacete (Castilla-La Mancha), most of Castilla y León, Valladolid and Salamanca, Lérida and Tarragona (Catalonia), Alicante and Valencia (Comunidad Valenciana), Melilla and the communities of Madrid, La Rioja and Murcia have a yellow alert for wind, waves, snow or avalanche risk until Friday.
- Sign up with Spain’s only ‘all-in- English’ mobile service - 21 May, 2019 @ 06:46
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- JOBS: Marbella’s Starlite Festival looking for 400 workers this summer, find out how to apply here - 14 May, 2019 @ 13:00
- WATCH: Car goes up in flames in Estepona - 13 May, 2019 @ 16:57
- How the British approach to gambling could benefit Spain - 13 May, 2019 @ 14:17
- ABSOLUTE MELTER: Heatwave hits Spain’s Andalucia as temperatures soar to 35C - 11 May, 2019 @ 18:19
- The International Vote is important in Mijas, where a third of the population are foreign, writes Bill Anderson - 11 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- WATCH: Brazen group of men run from boat carrying ‘suspicious’ packages on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 6 May, 2019 @ 20:17
- The Best Casinos in Spain - 6 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- Loraine in Spain - 5 May, 2019 @ 11:58