THE Spanish government has condemned the arrest of three journalists and a driver in Venezuela.
Those detained by Venezuelan intelligence service Sebin all belong to Spanish news agency EFE.
Arrested are photographer Leonardo Munoz, reporters Gonzalo Dominguez and Mauren Barriga, as well as an unidentified driver.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said will support the new self-declared leader of the South American country, Juan Guaido.
It comes after he labelled the official leader of the poverty-stricken nation, Nicolás Maduro, a ‘tyrant’.
Venezuela is in political crisis because the public are angry about hyperinflation, power cuts and food and medicine shortages.
According to the UN 3 million Venezuelans have fled the country since 2014, while inflation has reached 1,300,000% since Maduro’s election.
Speaking at a world gathering of left-wing political parties, Sanchez said: “We are socialists because we defend freedom.
“Whoever responds with bullets and prisons to the desire for freedom and democracy is no socialist, he is a tyrant.”
The Spanish leader is joined by most of the EU in calling for new elections in Venezuela.
But on Thursday the EU Parliament officially recognised Juan Guaido as the new president.
The US, Canada, Australia and most of South America already recognise Guaido as the interim president.
Those who support Maduro include Mexico, Bolivia, Nicaragua, Uruguay, China, Russia, Belarus, Iran, Turkey and Syria.
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33
- Sexism row in Spain as female squash champions handed sex toys as prizes - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:50