JOSE Mourinho has been handed a one-year prison sentence for tax fraud in Spain, but he will not serve any time.
The ex-Manchester United manager struck a deal with prosecutors, agreeing to pay a €182,500-penalty on top of a separate €2m-fine to avoid prison.
In Spain convicts usually don’t do time for sentences under two years if they are first-time or non-violent offenders.
The 53-year-old Portuguese’s crime relates to tax fraud in 2011 and 2012, while coaching Spanish side real Madrid.
He is accused of owing €3.3m to the Spanish tax authorities after it is alleged he had offshore companies to manage his earnings.
It comes after fellow ex-Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo was given a 23-month prison sentence and an €18.8m fine for tax evasion.
Fellow Los Blancos footballer Xabi Alonso, who played alongside Ronaldo under Mourinho, is also accused of tax fraud.
However, unlike the Portuguese pair, Alonso maintains his innocence, yet could face a possible five years in prison.
Mourinho’s representatives did not comment on the case.
The Portugal man left Manchester United in December after he was sacked following a poor run of form.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00