A MAN, 43, has been arrested in Spain after police found the body of his girlfriend chopped up in a freezer.
The 22-year-old Spanish woman has been missing since September 2017, but her mother did not report her missing until December 2018.
Agents of the National Police found the severed corpse in a cold store unit at a house in Alcalá de Henares, Madrid on Thursday evening.
The Spanish suspect was arrested on Friday morning and is now in custody waiting to be interrogated.
Local reports claim the man told police the girl no longer lived with him, and initially refused to let them in.
He is the tenant of the house where the woman was found and police do not have a criminal record for him.
If this case is confirmed as gender violence, it would mark the 8th killing of a woman by a partner or ex-partner in 2019.
- Whether we like it or not, tourism to Spain boosts the economy and sways the property market, writes Amanda Butler - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 13:33
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00