POLICE have now arrested 29 people between Cadiz and the Costa del Sol in one of southern Spain’s largest drug busts.
Over 500 Guardia Civil officers from across the country are involved in the operation that has resulted in 36 different searches.
Most police activity has focused on La Linea, where police have arrested several people linked to the Castañitas drug gang whose crime dominates the border city.
The infamous gang are thought to control 70% of the hash that makes its way across the nearby Strait of Gibraltar from Morocco into Spain.
The police operation has also used helicopters and boats, while a roadblock with vehicle controls was in place on the perimeter of La Linea.
It comes as Government delegate in Andalucia, Alfonso Rodríguez Gómez de Celis has warned young people who choose a life of drug trafficking that they will ‘finish in jail’.
The politician made the stark warning in Sevilla, where he added: “We will not stop until we find the last drug trafficker of the Campo de Gibraltar.
“All those who work or collaborate with drug traffickers will end up in jail.”
- Jamie Oliver’s empire goes into administration with 1,000 jobs losses just a week after new Costa del Sol restaurant - 21 May, 2019 @ 21:18
- Everything you need to know about dangerous dogs in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:44
- SPOTTED: Roberto Firmino in Marbella after €23 million private jet ride before Liverpool squad arrive for Champions League training - 20 May, 2019 @ 13:39
- Costa del Sol expat fighting for life after feral dog attack left him naked on floor and severely wounded - 20 May, 2019 @ 11:10
- Eating ultra-processed Spanish chorizo, cereals and pastries increases depression risk by 33%, study warns - 18 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- ANOTHER chiringuito in Spain’s Andalucia faces environmental protests just weeks after blue flag losses - 18 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Five Madrid campsites for under €50 a night that won’t leave you priced out of Champions League weekend - 18 May, 2019 @ 09:00
- Irish fugitive dies in Benidorm after he stripped man naked, battered him and carved up his body in wheelie bin - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:03
- SNIFFED OUT: Group in Spain fined €86,000 for cooking stew of protected birds after police smelt it from cliff - 17 May, 2019 @ 11:54
- Guardia Civil cop among 57 arrested in HUGE Costa del Sol drug bust involving 200 officers - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:25