POLICE have now arrested 29 people between Cadiz and the Costa del Sol in one of southern Spain’s largest drug busts.
Over 500 Guardia Civil officers from across the country are involved in the operation that has resulted in 36 different searches.
Most police activity has focused on La Linea, where police have arrested several people linked to the Castañitas drug gang whose crime dominates the border city.
The infamous gang are thought to control 70% of the hash that makes its way across the nearby Strait of Gibraltar from Morocco into Spain.
The police operation has also used helicopters and boats, while a roadblock with vehicle controls was in place on the perimeter of La Linea.
It comes as Government delegate in Andalucia, Alfonso Rodríguez Gómez de Celis has warned young people who choose a life of drug trafficking that they will ‘finish in jail’.
The politician made the stark warning in Sevilla, where he added: “We will not stop until we find the last drug trafficker of the Campo de Gibraltar.
“All those who work or collaborate with drug traffickers will end up in jail.”
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- Woman held on suspicion of bludgeoning her sleeping dad to death and knifing mum in back on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 11:55
- American football star caught jumping over bulls at Spain’s San Fermin as veterans SLAM festival as ‘TOO SAFE’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:30
- Young woman arrested after ‘stabbing man in face with fork’ in Gibraltar’s Ocean Village - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:02
- Spanish man arrested over rape of British teenage girl in park in Spain - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:53
- Rock climber drowns in front of daughter after 30-metre plunge into sea near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 08:16
- Iconic castle on Spain’s Costa del Sol is FINALLY being repaired - 14 Jul, 2019 @ 09:14
- WATCH: Spanish school teacher’s vile RACIST rant at black British men on Spain train, calling them ‘monkeys’ and ‘f**king Africans’ - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 10:03
- Environmental group names and shames 19 Costa del Sol beaches as among worst in Spain - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:01