SPANISH Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has called a snap general election for April 28.
He announced the news in a statement at the Moncloa Palace on Friday, just days after his Government’s budget failed to get past Parliament.
The Socialist PSOE leader did not get the support he needed from the Catalan parties, after he refused to make concessions to them over Catalunya’s independence.
Sanchez had even granted the Catalan separatists a debate on the region’s independence, but they wanted more.
The electoral campaign will begin on April 13, before Spain has its third elections in less than four years.
“Spain must continue to progress, excluding the politics of tension, creating quality employment, expanding rights and freedoms, and guaranteeing social protection,” said Sanchez on Friday as he announced the snap vote.
It comes as the trial of the 12 Catalan leaders who could face 25 years in prison after Catalunya’s failed independence vote, continues.
The politicians face various charges, including rebellion and the misuse of public funds, and the trial is set to last three months.
The general elections are also set to take place just a month before 13 autonomous communities also go to the polls on May 26.
Pedro Sanchez has only been the Prime Minister of Spain since June 2 after he took power, following a no confidence vote in his predecessor Mariano Rajoy.
- BREXIT FOOD MAP: Which Spanish produce will be most affected when the UK leaves the EU? - 24 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26