SPANISH Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has called a snap general election for April 28.
He announced the news in a statement at the Moncloa Palace on Friday, just days after his Government’s budget failed to get past Parliament.
The Socialist PSOE leader did not get the support he needed from the Catalan parties, after he refused to make concessions to them over Catalunya’s independence.
Sanchez had even granted the Catalan separatists a debate on the region’s independence, but they wanted more.
The electoral campaign will begin on April 13, before Spain has its third elections in less than four years.
“Spain must continue to progress, excluding the politics of tension, creating quality employment, expanding rights and freedoms, and guaranteeing social protection,” said Sanchez on Friday as he announced the snap vote.
It comes as the trial of the 12 Catalan leaders who could face 25 years in prison after Catalunya’s failed independence vote, continues.
The politicians face various charges, including rebellion and the misuse of public funds, and the trial is set to last three months.
The general elections are also set to take place just a month before 13 autonomous communities also go to the polls on May 26.
Pedro Sanchez has only been the Prime Minister of Spain since June 2 after he took power, following a no confidence vote in his predecessor Mariano Rajoy.
- REVEALED: These countries made the most asylum applications to Spain so far this year - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- PALM BEACH: The curious pop history of the Costa del Sol’s most famous chiringuito freshly refurbished for summer - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27