SPAIN has threatened the UK with legal action over a new housing project in Gibraltar.
Madrid sent a letter to London on February 19 it has emerged, as it disputes the construction of 665 new flats near Gibraltar’s Eastern Beach.
A Spanish Government source said plans involved ‘illegal land reclamation in waters under Spanish sovereignty’.
The affordable housing project started by the Government of Gibraltar is called the Hassan Centenary Terraces.
Prices in the high-rise development start at €89,000 for a one-bedroom apartment.
An initial complaint from Spain was sent to the UK in 2017, but they received no reply.
But the government source said, if London fails to respond again, then Madrid will be ‘launching whatever legal action it deems most appropriate to defend its position’.
Currently, the area the Government of Gibraltar wants to build on is a car park and other land.
Whilst the area on the architectural plans shows the apartment blocks near the water’s edge, it does not appear to show any encroachment in to Spanish waters.
This latest argument over Gibraltar’s sovereignty comes after a long exchange of heated activity between Spain and the UK.
Spain has sent its warships into Gibraltar waters in recent months, and even inserted a footnote into EU legislation calling the Rock a colony.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06