THE British man who launched a racist attack on a black woman on a Ryanair flight from Spain will not be charged police have said.
David Mesher, 70, attacked Delsie Gayle, 77, with racial slurs on a plane at Barcelona Airport on October 19.
Mesher, originally from Birmingham, was filmed by other passengers calling Gayle an ‘ugly black bastard’ on the FR015 flight to London Stansted.
In the video – which got over a million views online – he also threatened to ‘push’ her to a different seat and said: “Don’t talk to me in a foreign language.”
However Essex Police has said it has no jurisdiction to prosecute Mesher, as the incident occurred in Spain.
It added that it was in contact with the Spanish authorities about the next steps.
After the incident Gayle said: “I feel very low.
“He paid a fare to go on holiday, I’ve paid mine, so why does he abuse me for that due to the colour of my skin?”
A statement from Essex Police read: “We have completed our enquiries as far as we are legally able to, given that the incident did not happen within our jurisdiction, and are now in contact with the Spanish legal authorities so that they can determine how they wish to proceed.”
After the incident Mesher said: “I probably lost my temper a bit and ordered her to get up.
“I’m not a racist person by any means and it’s just a fit of temper at the time, I think.”
Gayle subsequently refused to accept an apology issued by Mesher.
- FIGHT THE POWER: Olive Press launches campaign to stop network of 352 pylons ‘destroying’ Andalucia’s Lecrin Valley and Alpujarras - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 09:00
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06