THE British man who launched a racist attack on a black woman on a Ryanair flight from Spain will not be charged police have said.
David Mesher, 70, attacked Delsie Gayle, 77, with racial slurs on a plane at Barcelona Airport on October 19.
Mesher, originally from Birmingham, was filmed by other passengers calling Gayle an ‘ugly black bastard’ on the FR015 flight to London Stansted.
In the video – which got over a million views online – he also threatened to ‘push’ her to a different seat and said: “Don’t talk to me in a foreign language.”
However Essex Police has said it has no jurisdiction to prosecute Mesher, as the incident occurred in Spain.
It added that it was in contact with the Spanish authorities about the next steps.
After the incident Gayle said: “I feel very low.
“He paid a fare to go on holiday, I’ve paid mine, so why does he abuse me for that due to the colour of my skin?”
A statement from Essex Police read: “We have completed our enquiries as far as we are legally able to, given that the incident did not happen within our jurisdiction, and are now in contact with the Spanish legal authorities so that they can determine how they wish to proceed.”
After the incident Mesher said: “I probably lost my temper a bit and ordered her to get up.
“I’m not a racist person by any means and it’s just a fit of temper at the time, I think.”
Gayle subsequently refused to accept an apology issued by Mesher.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53