SPAIN has launched a new counter-terrorism strategy that focuses specifically on ISIS and Al Qaeda.
The plan targets conflict zones, prisons where people become radicalised and domestic terror cells.
Before that, a home-grown Jihadist in Barcelona killed 16 people and injured 131 more when he rammed into pedestrians with a van.
“Most of the terrorist attacks committed in Europe were done by people radicalised in their own countries,” the new strategy says.
It adds that, ‘the rise of identity-based extremism with exclusionary positions,’ is ‘leading to violent dynamics and support for terrorism among minority sectors of our society’.
Returning terrorists, mainly to Madrid, Catalunya, Ceuta and Melilla, are the main focus of the new document, published on Tuesday.
The strategy comes at a time when many Jihadists are expected to return to Spain, as the US ends its military presence in Syria.
To prosecute some of those returning, the strategy recommends using DNA and document evidence in terrorism trials.
Over 230 Spaniards have left the country to fight with terrorist groups, of which 20% have returned and 25% have died.
Meanwhile, 140 people in Spain have been imprisoned for Jihadist offences and another 120, sent down for petty crimes, have been partially or fully radicalised.
This new plan replaces the old one that expired in 2017, and will be valid until 2023.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53