GIBRALTAR is ‘50 years behind the rest of the world’ when it comes to women’s rights, a leading campaigner has claimed.
Tamsin Suarez, from the No Means No charity, blasted the Rock for failing to tackle the gender pay gap and for its ‘antiquated’ abortion ban.
The Gibraltarian, who helps run the Breast-Feeding Association, made the comments ahead of International Women’s Day of March 8.
“The gender pay gap is one of the main obstacles to equality in Gibraltar, where a woman can only be paid so much for the work she does as opposed to men,” she told the Gibraltar Olive Press this week.
“Sexual discrimination is also present in the workplace, where women are not recognised for their abilities.
“Unfortunately there are no official statistics for any of these or even for more criminal issues like sexual violence.”
She insisted Gibraltar’s abortion ban is ‘antiquated’.
“Women have always been sent to the UK or gone to Spain for an abortion,” she added.
“It’s not a debate we invented recently – it just hasn’t been talked about.
“People have realised it should be a healthcare provision here at home.
“Hopefully there will be a bill on it soon as it is an international obligation declared by the UN.”
She added: “I know young women who have been raped only to go to A&E and get told off for being in a vulnerable situation!” she added.
Abortion is still illegal on the Rock and punishable by life in imprisonment, making it one of the toughest punishments for the practice in Europe.
- ‘The closure of the border shaped us as a people,’ says Deputy Chief Minister, comparing historic event to Brexit - 9 Jun, 2019 @ 15:28
- Challenges ahead as Brexit turmoil looms for Gibraltar, says Deputy chief minister - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 08:57
- Robbie Williams ‘to join’ Take That performance at Gibraltar Calling festival - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:30
- Tickets for opera star Andrea Bocelli concert in Gibraltar sell out in just two days - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Nearly 400 new affordable homes to be built at North Mole in Gibraltar - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 19:33
- Lib Dem leader Vince Cable issues stark Brexit warning for Gibraltar in EXCLUSIVE Olive Press interview - 26 May, 2019 @ 11:00
- Vince Cable says Brexit will ‘really hurt’ Gibraltar while Rachel Johnson calls for Article 50 to be revoked - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- WATCH: Claims of cover-up after year-old footage leaks of near fatal disaster at Gibraltar’s dry dock - 14 May, 2019 @ 16:08
- Huge apartment block will be one of Gibraltar’s tallest buildings and sit at new entrance to the Rock - 28 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- SIR JOE BOSSANO: Spain’s far-right Vox party spells trouble for Gibraltar border - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 11:30