MARBELLA has been named one of the ‘best fishing destinations’ in Europe, according to a report published this week.
FishingBooker, the world’s largest website for booking fishing charters, named Marbella as one of the top 10 fishing destinations on the continent.
The luxury yacht hub came out shoulder to shoulder with Croatia’s Dubrovnik, Madeira’s Funchal and Greece’s Santorini, amongst others.
‘’Every year, millions of people head to the Costa Del Sol in search of sun, sea, sand, and sangria, and Marbella is the most popular spot of them all,’’ a FishingBooker spokesperson said.
‘’It is the perfect city to spend some time in the slow lane and enjoy the incredible restaurants, shopping, and beaches.’’
The online fishing charterer, which features trips in more than 1,750 cities worldwide, said its star-studded list was created based on a number of factors such as user reviews, variety of species and overall experience at the destination.
Captain of the Luna Pesca charter boat in Puerto Banus, Oscar Santos, 49, told the Olive Press that Marbella’s strength is the surrounding seabed.
‘’The surrounding seabed is very rocky, so young fish have a place to hide,’’ Santos said.
‘’The rest of the Costa del Sol is very sandy, so Marbella is the best for fishing.’’
The captain, who set up his charter company in 1996, said he held the Malaga tuna title for six years after he caught one weighing 780lbs, or 347kg.
He said tourists can rent his boat for 4, 5 or 8 hours and expect to catch red snappers, tuna, marlins, sea bass and grouper.
Jorge Lopez, 25, owner of the Lovit charter boat, said that Marbella is also high up in FishingBooker’s list thanks to its ‘sun, good weather and richness’ of the surrounding seas.
He said that he once caught a tuna weighing 320kg, but threw it back into the sea as it was not the right season.
The fishing season for tuna lasts from July to September, outside of which the majestic fish must be thrown back to preserve stocks.
He added that tourists may catch mackerel, bonito and frigate mackerel aboard his boat, which can be booked with or without a skipper supplied by Jorge.
The full list was as follows:
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Marbella, Spain
- Bled, Slovenia
- Herceg Novi, Montenegro
- Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
- Inverness, Scotland
- Costa Adeje, Tenerife, Spain
- Santorini, Greece
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51