A MAN has been charged with murder after a Spaniard was stabbed to death in London earlier this month.
Carlos Rueda Velez, 20, will appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court later today after receiving the charge this morning.
He is accused of stabbing aspiring Spanish chef David Martinez-Valencia, 26, in Leyton, east London, on March 6.
David, who had dual Spanish and Colombian citizenship, was stabbed repeatedly in a flat before fleeing into the street where he collapsed in front of passersby and collapsing and bled to death.
A Met Police spokesman said: “The investigation was launched after police were called to North Birkbeck Road, 4.26pm on Wednesday, March 6 following reports of a stabbing.
“Officers, London Ambulance Service and London Air Ambulance attended and found a man suffering from knife injuries.
“He was pronounced dead at the scene at 5.10pm – his next of kin have been informed.
“Although formal identification awaits, the deceased is David Steven Martinez-Valencia, 26, who had dual Spanish and Colombian nationality.”
Colombian-based music producer Yohan Martinez shared a photo of the two of them together as children and said: “He lived like most would have wanted to live, getting to know the world in the simplest way, working and helping his family out.
“I admire him and we will always admire him. His loss pains us. This photo is the only one I have of him. We didn’t take photos last time you came, thinking it wouldn’t be the the last time I was going to see you.”
He told his followers how David used to help his mother make bread in a bakery.
He wrote: “’My mum is heartbroken today because she loved you as if you were her own son. We miss you and will always miss you.
“You don’t know how much it hurts that you’ve gone. I hope you make the best recipes in Heaven.”
The tragic slaying comes as the UK’s capital continues to be gripped by surging knife crime.
At least 26 people have been stabbed to death so far this year in the UK in what is being branded by some as a national crisis.
David’s death is not believed to be gang-related and according to Spanish newspaper El Norte de Castilla, it was most likely done ‘out of jealousy’.
Reminiscing the horrific moment, one local resident told the Mail Online: “He got stabbed at the flats. He was screaming for help and crying. He just kept repeating, ‘Help, help, help, they are after me.
“I was inside and my husband who saw it came running in and said ‘Call an ambulance.’
“People were getting towels to soak up the blood. A girl had blood all over her hands. We were all in shock.”
David, from Valladolid, worked for a car manufacturer in Spain before moving to London.
Former colleague Josechu Sanz said in a social media tribute: “Very sad news for all those who worked with David, a really great person aged only 26 who has been murdered in London. Rest in peace and I hope justice is done.”
Valladolid-based DJ pal Jose Antonio Maraca said: “Rest in peace my friend. Life can be so cruel.”
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38