AIRSPACE in Spain and the rest of the EU has been closed to all Boeing 737 MAX aircraft after 157 people died in a plane crash in Ethiopia on Sunday.
The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) decided to close the airspace after 31 airlines and 15 countries had already banned the Boeing model.
The temporary suspension of the aircraft from European airspace was effective as of 7:00pm on Tuesday.
The Ethiopian Airlines plane crashed shortly after it took off from the country’s capital, Addis Ababa.
It marks the second crash of a Boeing 737-MAX in less than five months, after a Lion Air flight crashed in October in Indonesia, killing 189 passengers.
One Irish national and seven Britons were among the victims of 35 different nationalities killed in the air disaster.
In total there are 370 Boeing 737-MAX aircraft registered, of which, 56% are grounded due to calls made by airlines.
Since the disaster in East Africa, Boeing’s shares have plummeted, in the highest drop the firm has seen since the 9/11 attacks in the US in 2001.
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11