VILLAGERS in northern Spain are ‘bewildered’ after a mysterious figure has been sliding envelopes full of cash under their doors.
In the tiny village of Villarramiel in Castile and León, home to just 800 people, residents are trying to work out why they are being given the money.
Since Wednesday last week around 15 seemingly unconnected people have each been gifted up to €100 in notes.
Local mayor Nuria Simon said: “We’re all bewildered and expectant as we don’t know where this money comes from or who the benefactor is.”
She added that the recipients include, ‘a widow living with her son, couples with small children, elderly couples and middle-aged couples without kids’.
Some of those benefiting from the surprise cash received messages as well, including one that said, to ‘the princess of the household’.
A couple of residents reported the bizarre charity spate to the police, but Simon said there was no ongoing investigation, because as far as they were aware, no crime had been committed.
- Boy, 2, dies after falling into swimming pool in Spain’s Malaga - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- Andy Murray’s Spanish doubles partner named in Wimbledon match-fixing investigation by police - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 09:46
- Death of British teen in Spain who was third to die at same apartment block ‘could have been prevented’ - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- OH MY GOGH: Gun Van Gogh ‘killed himself with’ to be auctioned off while southern Spain tour of his work continues - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 12:30
- CASTING CALL: Netflix needs male and female extras in Spain’s Andalucia for new drama series - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 10:57
- POSH: Brits Victoria and David Beckham jet into Spain’s Andalucia for celeb wedding of year catered for by Dani Garcia - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:54
- WATCH: Shocking moment bullring volunteer in Spain gored to death in front of 2,000 fans as bull ran back into pen - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 12:52
- Facial recognition cameras installed at Gibraltar Airport - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 11:00
- UK Government denies issuing ‘fresh warning’ of terror threat in Spain - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:34
- UK primary school hires convicted CHILD KILLER from Spain’s Andalucia who stabbed schoolgirl victim 32 times - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:44