VILLAGERS in northern Spain are ‘bewildered’ after a mysterious figure has been sliding envelopes full of cash under their doors.
In the tiny village of Villarramiel in Castile and León, home to just 800 people, residents are trying to work out why they are being given the money.
Since Wednesday last week around 15 seemingly unconnected people have each been gifted up to €100 in notes.
Local mayor Nuria Simon said: “We’re all bewildered and expectant as we don’t know where this money comes from or who the benefactor is.”
She added that the recipients include, ‘a widow living with her son, couples with small children, elderly couples and middle-aged couples without kids’.
Some of those benefiting from the surprise cash received messages as well, including one that said, to ‘the princess of the household’.
A couple of residents reported the bizarre charity spate to the police, but Simon said there was no ongoing investigation, because as far as they were aware, no crime had been committed.
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11