A BRITISH expat is campaigning to save a herd of cows after a local farmer’s electricity and water supplies were ‘cruelly’ cut off by the town hall.
Julie Crowson, 59, is supporting Jose Luis Sanchez Real, 56, whose 485 dairy cows are facing ‘almost certain death’.
It comes after the farm in Rota had its water supply cut off without warning following ‘a string of complaints’ from neighbours.
To make matters worse, electricity was severed a few days later leaving the family desperate for a generator to milk their cows.
“Cutting off the water supply is just cruelty to animals,” Crowson told the Olive Press.
“I don’t care if the mayor comes after me, I don’t want the cows and a family to be destroyed.”
It’s not Crowson’s first battle with mayor Javier Arana after she thwarted his efforts to bring back bullfighting to the town two years ago.
The expat, who has lived in the town for 30 years, famously kissed a bull as part of her campaign to raise awareness.
She has now taken up the cause of farmer Jose, who has worked on the farm since he was 12.
According to the town hall, complaints of smell by nearby urbanisations, which have sprung up over the last decade, led to a court order forcing his relocation.
However, farmer Real insisted the council was merely planning to ‘slaughter’ his cows, give him money for the meat and charge him €31,000 for the service.
“They are threatening me, yet my cows have the best genetic indices in all of Andalucia. And while I know I must leave, it will cost me €1.5 million to rebuild my farm,” he told the Olive Press this week.
“I don’t have that kind of money.”
Mayor Arana, from the PSOE, defended the decision, telling Rota al Dia he had given Sanchez a ‘month’s warning’ about imminent cuts to provisions.
However the warning letter shown to this paper, dated November 29, did not specify any dates.
“With elections coming up on May 27 I imagine the mayor is hoping to fulfil a campaign pledge,” Crowson, who will be creating an online petition, added.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51