THE forgotten villa of Spain’s own ‘Schindler’ has been torn down despite more than 500 people finding refuge there during the civil war.
Villa Maya was owned by the honorary consul of Mexico in Malaga, Porfirio Smerdou, who hid both nationalists and republicans under threat of assassination.
The villa, in El Limonar, was torn down this week and did not have any protection despite its historical value.
“Porfirio Smerdou was a very important character, a human being who tried to avoid what was happening on both sides and who even suffered reprisals from the fascist troops when they entered Malaga despite having helped many of their own,” historian Francisco Espinosa told Malaga Hoy.
The consul used his contacts to help people in hiding escape, leading journalist Diego Carcedo to name him the ‘Schindler of the Civil War’.
Oskar Schindler saved 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust by employing them in his factories and bribing Nazi officials.
When Smerdou died in Madrid in 2002 at the age of 97, his son Luis said: “Greatness without reward, honor without fame, dignity without brightness, that was his life.”
- Spain slammed after new report finds 100,000 people with disabilities are trapped at home - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 14:18
- UK minister issues summer job prison warning for Brits on Spain holiday island - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- Ex Real Madrid superstar Ronaldo adds to luxury supercar collection with new €850,000 McLaren Senna - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- Family of Mallorca climber killed in fall blast authorities in Spain over long wait for news of body - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 16:13
- Former IRA bomber, known as the ‘Angel of Death’ jailed in Spain alongside husband over Costas property scam - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:56
- Young British rock climber dies after falling 60ft in Mallorca - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:05
- Spain’s La Liga fined over popular mobile app that spied on illegal match screenings - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:48
- NASA images reveal ‘sea of plastic’ - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:23
- British surfer drowns in southern Spain after being swept away by strong currents in front of niece - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 18:07
- Brit in Spain takes on Nigel Farage bankroller with 2,000 mile Brexit protest walk from Gibraltar to London - 11 Jun, 2019 @ 15:57