A TOWN hall has been blasted for spending €90,000 on a campaign to attract more British tourists – to just four hotels!
Calpe’s PP mayor has been criticized for handing the cash to UK firm Jet2Holidays, which specialises in all-inclusive and half-board packages.
The company is set to spend it on marketing efforts geared around the village of Penyal.
The travel firm works directly with four hotels in Calpe, two from the Esmerelda Group and the Bay and Ifach hotels.
Locals fear the all-inclusive packages, which are around €600 per week for half-board, mean not much money is poured back into the local economy.
PSOE opponents of the council insist the money would be better spent on infrastructure projects to improve the town.
“It would be much better than giving investments to millionaire friends,” said spokesman Santos Pastor.
“Calpe needs to be spending its money on its aging and unattractive infrastructure.”
A video protest shows a series of pavements in need of repair and insists ‘another tourism model is possible’.
Jet2Holidays has been contracted to promote Penyal until 2021.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29