A TOWN hall has been blasted for spending €90,000 on a campaign to attract more British tourists – to just four hotels!
Calpe’s PP mayor has been criticized for handing the cash to UK firm Jet2Holidays, which specialises in all-inclusive and half-board packages.
The company is set to spend it on marketing efforts geared around the village of Penyal.
The travel firm works directly with four hotels in Calpe, two from the Esmerelda Group and the Bay and Ifach hotels.
Locals fear the all-inclusive packages, which are around €600 per week for half-board, mean not much money is poured back into the local economy.
PSOE opponents of the council insist the money would be better spent on infrastructure projects to improve the town.
“It would be much better than giving investments to millionaire friends,” said spokesman Santos Pastor.
“Calpe needs to be spending its money on its aging and unattractive infrastructure.”
A video protest shows a series of pavements in need of repair and insists ‘another tourism model is possible’.
Jet2Holidays has been contracted to promote Penyal until 2021.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49