A SECOND dead dolphin has been spotted washing up on the Costa Blanca in the space of just a week.
The dolphin was videoed by passersby, including children, at 5pm on the Els Molins beach in Denia in an advanced stage of composition.
It is the second sighting this week after a dolphin was photographed just 3km away on Les Bovetes beach with a fin missing on Wednesday, according to La Marina Plaza.
Victor Alexandre, who took the video, confirmed that local police were called to investigate.
However, because the animal was already in an advanced stage of decomposition, police said an autopsy into the cause of death could not be performed.
“It is important that the gut of the animal is opened to know if it died due to ingestion of plastics, or if the death has been caused by fishermen,” Maite Mompo, who runs plastic awareness campaign ¡Mojate! in Denia, told the Olive Press.
“This a fact happening in other places such as France, where more than 1,100 dolphins with marks of violence have arrived dead since January.”
“Citizens need to know what has happened in order to prevent future deaths.”
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51