BRITISH expats have slammed the ‘horrendous’ growth of intensive pig farms in Andalucia, claiming they ‘pollute’ the water supply.
Agrifood giant Grupo Fuertes has been constructing the ‘macro-granjas’ across much of Almeria and Granada provinces.
But locals warn thousands are at risk from the ‘carcinogenic’ pig slurry generated from the pork production.
“Within five years this whole region will be poisoned,” Nickie Lawson, 60, co-founder of local action group ‘Save the Altiplano’ told the Olive Press.
She said: “Because we have such limited water supplies we rely on the underground systems.
“But there is no way of preventing the carcinogenic slurry getting into the water.
“They run it off into pits where it becomes more and more concentrated.”
Green group Ecologistas en Accion has also filed a complaint with the Junta over the farms expressing concern for rare birds, including Red Kites.
Paul Griffin, 62, from London and his partner Louisa, 53, live in Albox just 40 metres from a pig farm that is being ‘doubled in size’.
“You can see it from our house, you can’t miss it,” Paul told the Olive Press, “it’s a blot on the landscape.”
The dad-of-three and former building manager said ‘in England you would not get away with this,’ after the pig farm was extended.
Grupo Fuertes declined to comment when approached by the Olive Press.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29