BRITISH expats have slammed the ‘horrendous’ growth of intensive pig farms in Andalucia, claiming they ‘pollute’ the water supply.
Agrifood giant Grupo Fuertes has been constructing the ‘macro-granjas’ across much of Almeria and Granada provinces.
But locals warn thousands are at risk from the ‘carcinogenic’ pig slurry generated from the pork production.
“Within five years this whole region will be poisoned,” Nickie Lawson, 60, co-founder of local action group ‘Save the Altiplano’ told the Olive Press.
She said: “Because we have such limited water supplies we rely on the underground systems.
“But there is no way of preventing the carcinogenic slurry getting into the water.
“They run it off into pits where it becomes more and more concentrated.”
Green group Ecologistas en Accion has also filed a complaint with the Junta over the farms expressing concern for rare birds, including Red Kites.
Paul Griffin, 62, from London and his partner Louisa, 53, live in Albox just 40 metres from a pig farm that is being ‘doubled in size’.
“You can see it from our house, you can’t miss it,” Paul told the Olive Press, “it’s a blot on the landscape.”
The dad-of-three and former building manager said ‘in England you would not get away with this,’ after the pig farm was extended.
Grupo Fuertes declined to comment when approached by the Olive Press.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40