THEY have famously been dubbed ‘Madge-mobiles’ after one of hit TV show Benidorm’s most popular characters.
So it is with great irony that the tourist resort itself has decided to ban mobility scooters on the majority of its pavements.
The move, which carries a fine of up to €450, will also see Segways, hoverboards and motorised scooters banned from the town’s pedestrianised areas.
They are also banned in cycle lines and along the paseo.
The vehicles, a favourite among British tourists, have been branded a ‘menace’ and will be set a new speed limit of 12mph in other areas.
The ban will not apply if the driver is over 55 or has a blue disabled badge.
The new laws have come into effect after a two-year battle and seven attempts and follow a similar ban in Alicante.
Raunchy t-shirts are also banned as part of a crackdown on ‘uncivic tourism’.
It comes after officials seized 500 ‘offensive’ items – including lighters adorned with naked women – in raids on five shops on Calle Gerona Street and Avenida Europa.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40