THEY have famously been dubbed ‘Madge-mobiles’ after one of hit TV show Benidorm’s most popular characters.
So it is with great irony that the tourist resort itself has decided to ban mobility scooters on the majority of its pavements.
The move, which carries a fine of up to €450, will also see Segways, hoverboards and motorised scooters banned from the town’s pedestrianised areas.
They are also banned in cycle lines and along the paseo.
The vehicles, a favourite among British tourists, have been branded a ‘menace’ and will be set a new speed limit of 12mph in other areas.
The ban will not apply if the driver is over 55 or has a blue disabled badge.
The new laws have come into effect after a two-year battle and seven attempts and follow a similar ban in Alicante.
Raunchy t-shirts are also banned as part of a crackdown on ‘uncivic tourism’.
It comes after officials seized 500 ‘offensive’ items – including lighters adorned with naked women – in raids on five shops on Calle Gerona Street and Avenida Europa.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29