AN Irish expat has joined protests against a five-storey tower block that has sprung up behind her favourite nudist beach.
Brenda Kelleher, 41, fears the 68 apartments will lead to ‘peeping toms’ ruining the secluded stretch on Almadrava Beach, between Oliva and Denia.
She has now joined local women’s group Asociacion Aquarela in a series of ‘monthly protests’ to demand the town hall creates a safe and hidden naturist zone for them to use.
“It was one of the last virgin places that hadn’t been touched by development,” Brenda told the Olive Press.
She and her family have been regularly using the beach for years.
“We used to come here every evening in summer and love the privacy and seclusion, but this huge block has ruined all that,” she added.
The beach has been a safe haven for naturists for more than 40 years.
But with the housing complex set for completion early this summer, Brenda fears its days are numbered.
She claimed various friends have faced verbal abuse from construction workers working on the site over the last few months.
“It’s going to be a big change I don’t know if we will keep coming here or go to Cala Ambolo some 10kms away,” she said.
Maite Mompo, 51, who started women’s group Aquarela to combat the development, said she had asked the local town hall to designate the beach as an official naturist site.
“Their answer was to send in the police to arrest us,” she claimed.
The Spaniard who spent four years on Greenpeace’s Rainbow Warrior ship added that the majority of apartments in the new development would be second homes.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49