THE Andalucian government has called for ‘tranquility’ after economic forecasts showed a hard Brexit would cost the region’s economy up to €1.1 billion.
The province is particularly vulnerable to the economic shock of a disorderly UK exit as Britain accounts for €4.5 billion worth investments annually.
After nine years of sustained growth, Andalucian exports to London fell by 10% in 2018 which pushed the UK behind Germany, France and Italy.
Economy Minister Rogelio Velasco said: “We have made calculations under different scenarios, in the pessimist, it would cost us €1.1 billion and in the optimist, something less than €500 million.
“The Andalucian companies that export to the United Kingdom have already redoubled their efforts to export to other countries, such as Germany, the United States or Asian countries and compensate for possible losses.”
On average businesses in Andalucia export €2 to the UK market for every €1 invested in goods from British companies.
Meanwhile, expats made up up a fifth of all foreign real estate buyers in 2017 with 2,643 homes purchased in Andalucia.
The UK also sees the most visitors to Andalucia , with more than three million travellers each year spending a total €1.8 billion.
The Junta has sought to calm fears with a ‘message of tranquility’ to reassure citizens and companies that ‘contingency measures’ are in place
Velasco said: “People who work in Gibraltar will continue to go in and out daily without problems and the status of British residents on the Costa del Sol will not change.”
- Political leaders set for TV debate ahead of Spain’s election - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:57
- WATCH: Spanish Legion on the march as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil near Ronda - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:59
- IN PICS: Clouds clear as Semana Santa celebrated in Setenil de las Bodegas - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:41
- PICTURED: Female squaddie accused of ‘glassing’ army pal in the throat at Magaluf club - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 13:13
- Rival footie fans launch ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity race to Spain in aid of teenage cancer battle - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:25
- Expat sprayed with ‘devil’s breath’ date rape drug on Spanish island and forced to empty bank account - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 11:11
- Easter travel chaos in Spain avoided after pilot strike called off - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:28
- Spain pledges support for Paris in wake of Notre Dame inferno - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 11:57
- FLIGHT CHAOS: Travel strikes across Spain mean HUNDREDS of flights cancelled over Easter - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- International experts unlock secrets of ancient ‘Stonehenge’ in southern Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 15:42