THE majority of cannabis sold on the streets of Madrid contains dangerous levels of faecal matter, a new study has revealed.
Analysts examined 90 samples and found dangerous levels of E.coli and the Aspergillus fungus.
The most lethal were the samples found inside plastic ‘acorns’ due to the fact that they are usually smuggled inside someone’s anus.
Lead author Jose Manuel Moreno Perez, from the Universidad Complutense in Madrid, added that 40% also had the ‘aroma of faeces’.
Perez collected samples straight from dealers in the centre of the city and its suburbs to test whether or not the drug was safe for human consumption.
The study found that 93% of the acorn-shaped samples contained dangerous levels of E.coli bacteria, as did 29.4% of the ‘ingot’ samples.
Some 10% of the cannabis samples were also contaminated with Aspergillus, a dangerous fungus that can cause serious health problems.
Most of the samples tested – 88.3% – were not suitable for consumption.
According to the study, the risks associated with E.coli and Aspergillus are serious enough to make the illegal hashish ‘a public health issue’.
E.coli can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach pains, fever, and blood in faeces.
For some it can lead to more serious conditions.
Aspergillus mould can cause serious problems for people who already have lung conditions, like asthma or cystic fibrosis, or in people who have low immunity.
The study added that this is particularly dangerous for cancer patients.
“These patients have a weakened immune system, meaning that an infection caused by the consumption of contaminated or adulterated hashish could be fatal,” it said.
Cannabis is legal to grow in small amounts for personal use in Spain, as it smoking it in private.
It is illegal to buy and sell the drug and to smoke it in public places.