ANDALUCIA has come out on top in a new ranking based on the cultural clout of Spain’s biggest cities.
Spain’s southernmost region claimed three positions in Holidu’s Top 10 Cities in Spain with the best Cultural Offerings list.
Sevilla, Malaga and Granada all made the shortlist, placing 4th, 5th and 8th respectively.
Holidu made the list by counting how many sites of cultural interest each city had before analysing their quality.
Barcelona topped the list, with 104 museums, 181 art galleries and 56 theatres on offer in the Catalan capital at any time.
Madrid came in second while Valencia, the home of paella, rounded out the top three.
On Sevilla, Holidu said: “The Andalucian capital is famous for the beauty of its historic center, which boasts three buildings declared a World Heritage site: the Cathedral, the Royal Alcazar and the Archivo de Indias.
“The Sevillian cultural tour is not complete without a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts, one of the most important art galleries in Spain, a theater classic like Cinco Horas con Mario at the Lope de Vega Theater, a moving opera like Israel in Egypt by Handel at the Teatro de la Maestranza or a stimulating reading at the Documentation Center of the Performing Arts of Andalucia.”
Malaga made the list for being the most international city in Andalucia and for its great collection of museums.
“The most international Andalucian city takes the fifth place, proving that they not only have one of the busiest airports in the country and a beautiful beach, but also a cultural offer to be proud of,” Holidu said.
“If you do not want to leave Malaga without seeing it all you have, in addition to the 84 cultural sites of the capital, a UNESCO World Heritage Site: the Site of the Dolmens in Antequera.
“Any cultural tour through Malaga includes a stop to get acquainted with cubist art in the Picasso Museum, a dose of comedy, sarcasm and social criticism with El Silencio de la Boba in the Sala Teatro La Cochera Cabaret, a night of opera with Verdi’s Aida at the Cervantes Theater and a reading session at the Cánovas del Castillo Library.”
The top 10 cities in Spain with the best culture, according to Holidu:
- Palma de Mallorca
No culture ranking is complete without Granada, which houses the Alhambra palace, one of the world’s most visited sites.
Holidu highlighted the Realejo (the Jewish quarter), the city center (the Christian quarter) and the Albaicín (the historical Muslim quarter) as standouts within the cultural hotspot.
“Its 56 cultural sites also ensure its place in the Top 10 and they are joined by World Heritage treasures such as the majestic Alhambra and the Generalife,” said Holidu.
“The cultural heritage of popular art can be seen with impressive graffiti covering some of the oldest areas of the city, positioning Granada as one of the best cities in Europe to learn about urban art.
“If you want to immerse yourself in the ‘granaína’ culture, you must visit Parque de las Ciencias, the most visited museum in Andalucia, and to feed your passion for theater see Moby Dick at the Isabel la Católica Theater, or get to know the local art in the Alea Gallery.”
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49