A SPANISH fireman has been accused of human trafficking and faces 20 years in prison after he saved thousands of migrants in rescue mission.
Miguel Roldan faced allegations of aiding illegal immigration and conspiring with human traffickers after rescuing stricken migrant boats for German NGO, Jugen Rettet.
In June 2017, the 32-year-old and his colleagues managed to rescue 5,000 people but Italian authorities later seized their vessel for ‘facilitating illegal immigration.’
“Even just one minute spent in jail for saving lives would be too much.
“The accusation is a huge slap in the face,” said Roldan
A judge in the Sicilian city of Trapani launched a investigation into the entire crew, made up of seven Germans, two Scots and Roldan.
The case comes after three firefighters from Seville were acquitted after being accused of people smuggling in 2018 while volunteering for rescue charity Proem-Aid.
Roldan said: “It’s unbelievable.
“We respect the rules so much that we’ve watched people die because of bureaucracy.”
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00
- OPINION: Vulnerable people being robbed in hospital beds on the Costa del Sol is an absolute disgrace - 6 Jul, 2019 @ 12:30
- Iran accuses UK of ‘piracy’ over oil tanker seized in Gibraltar and summons ambassador to Tehran - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 10:28
- Royal Marines in Gibraltar detain oil tanker on way to Syria - 4 Jul, 2019 @ 09:50