BRITONS in Spain have been guaranteed a 21-month grace period in which they will be classed as legally resident in the event of a no-deal Brexit, an update on La Moncloa has revealed.
The nearly two-year spell will provide time for Britons who moved to Spain before a hard-Brexit date to obtain new documentation allowing them to stay.
After leaving the EU, all British citizens will be classed as third-country nationals and will need a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) to prove their right to residence.
But the new update, confirmed by Congress last week, will allow Britons to obtain a TIE without abiding by the same rules imposed upon other third-country nationals.
British expats will however need to prove that they arrived in Spain before a no-deal Brexit departure, for example by registering on their local padron.
The procedure to obtain such documentation is not yet known.
Theresa May’s draft withdrawal deal would also establish a grace period up until December 31 2020, during which time citizens in Spain would similarly need to obtain a new TIE.
But with May’s deal already defeated three times in the House of Commons this update provides reassurance to the nearly 300,000 British expats residing in Spain—the most in any EU country, excluding Ireland.
- Georgina Harvey, President of Original Charity Shop and Library in Javea, named in Queen’s Birthday Honours list - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 16:41
- Dutchman donates 3,000kg of organic ‘solidarity potatoes’ to help struggling families in Javea - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 10:03
- WATCH: Plane drops water on Sierra Helada national park as forest fire blazes above Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 20:06
- WATCH: Brit claim that he ‘slipped’ by pool to recover 37,000 euro hospital bill in Mallorca FAILS after video shows him jumping into a tree - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 15:07
- ‘HE LIKES IT’: Benidorm bar responds to claims that midget stripper advert was a ‘hate crime’ - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 12:12
- BREAKING: First chikungunya outbreak in Spain as three tourists on the Costa Blanca are infected - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Girl of THREE among 79 illegal immigrants intercepted as Guardia Civil arrests Alicante-based trafficking gang - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 13:27
- PICTURED: Romanian woman beheaded on the Costa Blanca as police say arrest ‘imminent’ - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:40
- WATCH: British-run restaurant blocked by ‘two truck loads’ of rubble as neighbour demands 150,000 for strip of land - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:36
- Three ‘pirate taxis’ confiscated from illicit drivers at Alicante-Elche Airport - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 17:51