BRITONS in Spain have been guaranteed a 21-month grace period in which they will be classed as legally resident in the event of a no-deal Brexit, an update on La Moncloa has revealed.
The nearly two-year spell will provide time for Britons who moved to Spain before a hard-Brexit date to obtain new documentation allowing them to stay.
After leaving the EU, all British citizens will be classed as third-country nationals and will need a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) to prove their right to residence.
But the new update, confirmed by Congress last week, will allow Britons to obtain a TIE without abiding by the same rules imposed upon other third-country nationals.
British expats will however need to prove that they arrived in Spain before a no-deal Brexit departure, for example by registering on their local padron.
The procedure to obtain such documentation is not yet known.
Theresa May’s draft withdrawal deal would also establish a grace period up until December 31 2020, during which time citizens in Spain would similarly need to obtain a new TIE.
But with May’s deal already defeated three times in the House of Commons this update provides reassurance to the nearly 300,000 British expats residing in Spain—the most in any EU country, excluding Ireland.
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08
- Italian accused of raping 17-year-old British girl WALKS FREE from Valencian court as incident happened on Panamanian cruise ship - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 00:19
- BREAKING: Police reveal British woman, 84, committed suicide by jumping off a bridge in Javea - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 10:36
- British pensioner dies after falling off bridge in Javea on the Costa Blanca - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 21:53
- IN PICS: Four dogs found chained in abandoned house without food among rubbish and faeces on the Costa Blanca - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 19:23
- Rain to soak Alicante’s Semana Santa celebrations - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:58
- NOT RUSSIAN AROUND: Russian plane charged €20,000 to park at Alicante airport - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:08