THE euthanasia debate has been reopened in Spain after a man was arrested for helping his terminally ill wife die.
Angel Hernandez, 70, assisted the death of his wife Maria Jose Carrasco, 61, who suffered multiple sclerosis for 30 years.
The Spanish couple filmed a video of Carrasco swallowing a lethal dose of sodium pentobarbital through a straw.
Hernandez immediately handed himself in at a police station, where he confessed to assisting his wife’s death, and then spent a night in a Madrid prison cell.
“Do you still want to kill yourself?” he asks his wife in the footage, to which she replies, “Yes, the sooner the better.”
Hernandez’s lawyer said that the aim of the video was to show his wife’s ‘suffering and abandonment’.
After leaving the court on Thursday, Hernandez said: “I have declared everything I did for my wife and now I am under investigation and being held responsible for her death.
“The officials and police have been sympathetic to me, they’ve treated me very well and they have agreed with me.”
Hernandez is the first person to be arrested in Spain for assisting the death of a physically disabled person.
Although the judge in charge of the case has released Hernandez without charge, he may have to reappear in court.
Carrasco enjoyed painting and playing the piano, but had to give up her hobbies once her illness got worse.
The PSOE has accused the Ciudadanos and the PP of blocking legislation which aims to decriminalize euthanasia.
A new law does have parliamentary approval, but it is held back by the congressional standing committee, which is controlled by the PP and Ciudadanos.
- WATCH: Dramatic moment huge tree smashes into crowd in Spain during Easter event - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15
- PIGEON PILL: Pesky birds in Spain’s Cadiz to be slipped contraceptives in food to control numbers - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- Climate change activists in Spain joined by those in UK as hundreds arrested - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- SPOTTED: The only pictures of Wolves’ trip to Marbella ahead of Premier League action today - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:40
- Spain’s Costa Blanca and Costa del Sol to be hit by FIVE DAYS of rain, flash floods and strong winds - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- PICTURED: British dad who died off Gibraltar coast in horror surfing accident was celebrity lawyer for David Walliams and Sex Pistols - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- NEW 25,000 square metre park on Costa del Sol includes slides, wildlife area and sports facilities - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:32
- ‘HE’S A GOOD KID’: Mum of jihadi suspect accused of planning a ‘massacre’ during Sevilla’s Semana Santa speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:10
- BREAKING: British surfer dies off coast of Gibraltar - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:49
- Two arrested in Spain’s Andalucia over violent drug deaths after bodies dumped down well and car burnt out - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:15