THE euthanasia debate has been reopened in Spain after a man was arrested for helping his terminally ill wife die.
Angel Hernandez, 70, assisted the death of his wife Maria Jose Carrasco, 61, who suffered multiple sclerosis for 30 years.
The Spanish couple filmed a video of Carrasco swallowing a lethal dose of sodium pentobarbital through a straw.
Hernandez immediately handed himself in at a police station, where he confessed to assisting his wife’s death, and then spent a night in a Madrid prison cell.
“Do you still want to kill yourself?” he asks his wife in the footage, to which she replies, “Yes, the sooner the better.”
Hernandez’s lawyer said that the aim of the video was to show his wife’s ‘suffering and abandonment’.
After leaving the court on Thursday, Hernandez said: “I have declared everything I did for my wife and now I am under investigation and being held responsible for her death.
“The officials and police have been sympathetic to me, they’ve treated me very well and they have agreed with me.”
Hernandez is the first person to be arrested in Spain for assisting the death of a physically disabled person.
Although the judge in charge of the case has released Hernandez without charge, he may have to reappear in court.
Carrasco enjoyed painting and playing the piano, but had to give up her hobbies once her illness got worse.
The PSOE has accused the Ciudadanos and the PP of blocking legislation which aims to decriminalize euthanasia.
A new law does have parliamentary approval, but it is held back by the congressional standing committee, which is controlled by the PP and Ciudadanos.
- WATCH: Spain’s Women’s World Cup dreams end as two penalties hand USA 2-1 victory in France - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 12:32
- This is the ONLY beach in Spain included in the world top 10 - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 11:15
- Two men arrested over sexual assault of young woman who was enjoying Costa del Sol San Juan celebrations - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 08:59
- Costa del Sol to see 10% increase in employment this summer compared to 2018 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 14:09
- Bin torching epidemic continues in Spain’s Mallorca as police arrest ANOTHER arsonist while damage totals €370,000 - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 13:07
- ‘Heartbroken’ family pay tribute to Irish dad stabbed to death with broken bottles in Costa del Sol pub - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:02
- Spanish golfers Garcia and Rahm joined by wealth of British stars at Andalucia Masters on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- RING ROADS AND RUINS: Junta de Andalucia funding motorways, flamenco and sewage in NEW budgets - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 10:00
- OPINION: The news that a British boy’s death in Mallorca ‘could have been prevented’ is both shocking and sad - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 17:12
- British expat arrested after Irishman stabbed to death ‘while urinating’ in pub on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 Jun, 2019 @ 13:53