PLANS to halt a plague decimating almond groves has caused uproar after revealing 100,000 trees will be cut down in Alicante.
Campaigners say the scheme will ‘completely destroy’ the cultivation of almonds in numerous traditional areas and worsen the problem of depopulation.
The Xylella fastidiosa bacteria, spread by insects, has been destroying almond trees around Spain, and can also be found in olive trees, apricot trees and grape vines.
The bacteria was first detected in El Castell de Guadalest, near Altea, in July 2017, and has since spread across 134,000 hectares, invading 76 municipalities in Marina Baixa, Marina Alta and El Comtat.
The current strategy of the Ministry of Agriculture, in Valencia, is to quarantine and rip up thousands of trees where the bacteria is present, with 30,000 already uprooted.
The containment plan eradicates trees within 100 metres of an infected specimen, even if it is healthy, with many specialists believing this will destroy 20% of all trees in Alicante.
Now an association of those affected, the AXFA, has hit back against the plans, insisting it will cause ‘irreparable damage to the environment, landscape and local economy’.
“Tourism will be badly damaged and this could further hasten depopulation, which is already a problem in rural areas,” said a spokesman.
Farmers in the association, who have not even been able to use the wood as fuel, have demanded that only infected trees be cut down.
“The destruction is not even being carried out correctly, as the authorities have cut the trees but left the roots, allowing them to sprout back up,” added the spokesman.
The Ministry of Agriculture has so far proposed €4.5 million of compensation to affected farmers, but they must leave the land fallow for five years.
- WATCH: Videos pour in as ‘gota fria’ drenches Javea and Denia on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:52
- Marina Alta on RED ALERT as heavy rains cause flash floods along Spain’s Costa Blanca - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 00:05
- ‘Level 1 emergency’ declared as largest Easter storm in 73 years hits the Costa Blanca - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 11:49
- Health Agency issues warning that Dutch cookies containing CANNABIS are being accidentally sold to children across Spain - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 10:00
- Diver resuscitated after suffering heart attack off coast from Javea on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 00:18
- BREAKING: Foreign Office issues warning to Brits as strike set to hit EVERY Spanish airport this Easter - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 17:24
- Spain’s first two-headed floating wind turbine expected to become ‘lowest cost solution’ for renewable energy far from coastline - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- Handler strike to affect ALL of Spain starting Easter Sunday - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 21:41
- British Pensioner followed by car for over an hour before attackers stole his €35,000 Rolex on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:53
- British man, 72, who tried to kill sleeping stepson with hammer jailed in Spain’s Costa Blanca - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 17:08