THE brother of missing Briton Daniel Poole who disappeared with his son Liam more than two weeks ago has detailed the family’s ongoing heartache.
Laurence Poole, 43, also from Sussex, said he is fearing the worst while Daniel’s other two children, aged 19 and 17, are ‘absolutely terrified’.
“I’m beginning to fear the worst,” he told the Olive Press today, “it’s been too long for them to be missing something’s not right.
“It’s so difficult because you want to be as positive as you can but you need to be realistic about the situation.”
He added that it was still a complete mystery as to what could have happened to his brother and nephew, who vanished from Estepona more than two weeks ago.
“I’ve got no clue as to what actually happened.
“There’s been so much speculation, people have told me he was there to buy a car and others said he was looking at a property along the Costa del Sol but we just don’t know.
“The police seem to have no answers yet or if they do they are remaining tight lipped.”
Laurence added that he knows something is wrong because every time he goes away Daniel makes sure to call his kids.
“When he’s been away snowboarding or on a lads trip he makes sure to call his kids every day so we know something is up.”
It comes after Policia Nacional in Estepona told this paper this week that there has been no significant development in the pair’s disappearance.
They said the the investigation ‘remains open’ but that there is ‘nothing yet to report’.
“There is nothing new to report on this case that we can share with the press,” the police force said.
“The investigation remains open.”
Daniel, 46, a car mechanic and Liam, 22, a computer technician, vanished from Estepona on April 1.
One British expat told the Olive Press she spotted Daniel on a dating app.
The Brit said she recognised him from the Olive Press appeal and took a screenshot of his profile.
She attempted to match with him in the hope of being able to contact him but received no response.
Daniel described himself as a business owner in his profile and said he was not looking for hook ups but was ‘up for meeting people’.
His profile showing up after the date of his disappearance does not mean he was actively on his phone as the profiles can be selected for any user several days in advance.
The family is now ‘sick with worry’ after not hearing from them since April 1 at around 6.30pm.
“This is completely out of character for them,” Daniel’s ex-partner Tara Poole told the Olive Press, “they never have their phones off and always keep in touch, we are so worried.”
Tara, who brother Laurence claims broke up with Daniel seven months ago, reportedly flew out with Liam’s girlfriend last Sunday in a bid to find answers and help from Spanish police.
“The last time we spoke it was a normal conversation, everything seemed fine,” Tara said.
Their last known whereabouts was at an internet cafe in Estepona, where Liam’s account, which his girlfriend has internet access to, shows they spent around €12.
“We think they bought sim cards there to use their phones for the week.
“We are trying to piece together what happened from there but none of it makes sense.
“We think they might have been caught up in something bad.”
Alan Fenn of Sussex Police said of the father and son’s disappearance: “This is extremely unusual behaviour from Daniel and Liam. They have been on holiday together before but never have they lost contact with family members.
“We, and their family, are eager to hear from anyone who has made contact with either Daniel or Liam.”
If you have seen the pair or know of there whereabouts contact Sussex police immediately.
Daniel is described as white, 5ft 9in, of a stocky build and has short, grey hair.
Liam is white, 6ft tall, medium-sized and has short, light-brown hair.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13