RIVAL British football fans have teamed up for a rally car race to Benidorm in support of a teenager battling cancer
The ‘Benidorm or Bust’ charity rally has been organised by friends and family of 19-year-old Joe Hardman, from Brandon, County Durham, who has leukaemia.
Followers of Sunderland and Newcastle have put aside their differences and will race to the Costa Blanca resort in cars painted in their team’s colours.
Family friend and toon fan, Neil Carr said: “Joe and his dad support Sunderland and the rest of us support Newcastle but we’re bringing the teams together.
“It’s all about raising money for the children’s cancer ward at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle where Joe had most of his treatment.
“We’ve always been to Benidorm on a plane and come back on a plane so we don’t know what to expect.”
Joe has been recovering after a stem cell transplant, following a donation from his younger sister Grace and now hopes to return to college.
His mum Joanne said: “It’s just giving something back for everything they’ve done for us and to make it a bit easier for other families and children if they end up in there, like we did.”
- DAYLIGHT ROBBERY: Crackdown sees nearly 20% of Palma’s terraces closed, leaving Mallorca expat owners struggling to make ends meet - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:32
- OPINION: War on Terraces - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 02:30
- Toddler fighting for her life after swallowing ecstasy in Spain’s Ibiza - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:09
- WATCH: All Blacks rugby stars perform haka in Spain’s Alhambra - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:51
- Drug smuggler held in Spain after hiding half a kilo of cocaine under toupee - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:50
- PICTURED: Grisly fate of Pamplona bulls during Spain’s famous San Fermin festival - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 12:09
- Pedro Sanchez walks away from coalition talks as political breakdown raises concern of repeat election in Spain - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:07
- Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior docks in Malaga to push for action on climate change - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 11:24
- Mystery masturbator back as sicko breaks into vehicles on Spain’s Mallorca and leaves semen all over the seat - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- SOUTHERN COMFORTS: Why it’s not just the infamous Atlantic wind that keeps the Costa de la Luz so spiritually chilled - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 09:00