A BRITISH expat is considering leaving Spain after being robbed twice in a Mercadona in just 10 days.
The 55-year-old, from Portsmouth, is demanding extra security be installed at the supermarket in La Cala de Mijas after having hundreds robbed from her purse alongside ‘priceless’ mementos of her dead daughter.
The mum-of-three, who is too scared of reprisals to be named, added that she was appalled by the lack of care shown by the store.
“I was so upset and they did not even take me to an office or offer to call police,” she told the Olive Press.
“They took €210 cash and personal notes from my daughter who passed three years ago, I can never replace that, it’s terrible.”
The expat, who used to live in South Africa, called on the chain to install more cameras and barriers.
“This never happened in the four years we were in Cape Town, they don’t even have a guard here, unlike other supermarkets,” she said.
The Brit was first robbed of €180 and all her credit cards and personal mementos on April 3 before being targeted again 10 days later.
“The first time I may have been more careless by not watching my bag 100% of the time but the second time I don’t know how they did it.
“Three women cornered me and I didn’t take notice of it at first thinking they were just in my way. But then a minute or so later I checked my bag and they had somehow cut open the zip and taken the purse out.
“That €30 cash was all we had to last us over Easter because our new cards didn’t arrive in time, it’s just been a nightmare.”
Another British man also complained that a group of women had tried to take his wife’s purse on the same day.
Mercadona were not immediately available for comment.
Have you been a victim or witnessed a robbery at this Mercadona? Contact [email protected]
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35