A BRITISH expat is considering leaving Spain after being robbed twice in a Mercadona in just 10 days.
The 55-year-old, from Portsmouth, is demanding extra security be installed at the supermarket in La Cala de Mijas after having hundreds robbed from her purse alongside ‘priceless’ mementos of her dead daughter.
The mum-of-three, who is too scared of reprisals to be named, added that she was appalled by the lack of care shown by the store.
“I was so upset and they did not even take me to an office or offer to call police,” she told the Olive Press.
“They took €210 cash and personal notes from my daughter who passed three years ago, I can never replace that, it’s terrible.”
The expat, who used to live in South Africa, called on the chain to install more cameras and barriers.
“This never happened in the four years we were in Cape Town, they don’t even have a guard here, unlike other supermarkets,” she said.
The Brit was first robbed of €180 and all her credit cards and personal mementos on April 3 before being targeted again 10 days later.
“The first time I may have been more careless by not watching my bag 100% of the time but the second time I don’t know how they did it.
“Three women cornered me and I didn’t take notice of it at first thinking they were just in my way. But then a minute or so later I checked my bag and they had somehow cut open the zip and taken the purse out.
“That €30 cash was all we had to last us over Easter because our new cards didn’t arrive in time, it’s just been a nightmare.”
Another British man also complained that a group of women had tried to take his wife’s purse on the same day.
Mercadona were not immediately available for comment.
Have you been a victim or witnessed a robbery at this Mercadona? Contact [email protected]
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27