WHAT was that saying about the rain in Spain?
Since Thursday, the Costa Blanca has been hit by the largest April storm in 73 years bringing winds of up to 100 km/h and flash floods all along the eastern coast.
The ports of Valencia, Castellon, Sagunto and Gandia were shut, while in Torrevieja—the worst hit region—the heavens dumped 200 litres/m2 of rain in 48 hours and led to the declaration of a ‘level 1 pre-emergency’.
Firefighters carried out 300 interventions in Alicante, due to landslides, falling trees, water drains, traffic accidents and trapped vehicles.
In Orihuela, near the border with Murcia, two men were injured Friday night after the wall of an abandoned house collapsed while they were seeking refuge.
In Novelda, in a flooded ravine that connects with the Vinalopó River, a man and a woman were rescued by fireman as their car began to rapidly fill with water.
Professor Jorge Olcina, president of the Association of Spanish Geographers (AGE), told Diario Informacion that not since Good Friday in 1946 has rain fallen “as much and as widely distributed throughout the Iberian southeast as now”.
“We have had a really dry start to 2019 in this part of Spain, and these rains have come in handy to close the deficit that we accumulated.
“The fields of the whole province and the region of Murcia have been well soaked, which guarantees at least a couple of irrigations for the seasonal harvests.”
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29