A HOMELESS man has been hospitalised after he was severely beaten up in a row over a gas stove.
Known as Vicente, the Spaniard sustained several broken ribs, black eyes, and numerous cuts and bruises.
Police believe another homeless man from Ubrique, who is on the run for previous attacks, was behind the shocking violence in Villamartin in Cadiz.
According to neighbours in the town, an argument broke out after Vicente, who is from Ceuta, refused to hand over a small gas stove to the attacker at his caravan.
In response to the incident, Vicente’s friend Atanasio Nuñez has raised €3,000 in just two days, in order to get his pal’s temporary home moved to a former Guardia Civil barracks.
“At least Vicente will have a roof and a door so nobody will attack him,” Nuñez said after he thanked the public for their generosity.
Local mayor Isidoro Gambin was among the contributors to the fund.
Vincente lives with his two pet dogs, and has turned down help from social services in the past, as he is happy with his lifestyle.
A local bar owner said: “Vicente is a very good person, very polite and helpful, and he does not mess with anyone even if he is drunk.”
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35