MALAGA Town Hall has announced a new pop art exhibition at the Centre for Contemporary Art (CAC), amid a management crisis.
The venue, which has recently seen a takeover by the Council, is set to host the event from mid-May to the end of June.
American painter Mark Ryden, a prolific figure of the 1970s Pop Surrealist movement, is one of dozens of international talents to be exhibited at the show.
Known as ‘the godfather of pop surrealism’, his mysterious work draws on everything from 17th century French literature, to old toys, and even meat.
Not one to be confined by medium, Ryden also produced an album, The Gay Nineties Old Tyme Music (2004), featuring Tyler The Creator, Katy Perry and Nick Cave, among others.
Ryden, whose previous CAC exhibition was the most popular ever at the gallery, with 102,800 visitors, will be joined by KAWS, James Jarvis, Erik Parker, Hajime Sorayama and more.
One of the main highlights of the show will be work by London-born Jarvis, an illustrator, toy designer and pioneer of the soft vinyl designer toy revolution.
It comes after a row broke at the CAC, as 17 staff from its Oleo restaurant were sacked, while 22 workers have denounced the Town Hall over contract disputes.
A Town Hall takeover prompted employees to issue a joint statement, in which they accuse city chiefs of ‘violating their rights’ by leaving them out of contract negotiations.
- ‘Greedy’ landowner sells expats’ animal refuge land near Costa del Sol meaning 800 animals could be killed - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 10:02
- OPINION: Is it any wonder racism flourishes in Spain, when a teacher of all people, feels she can call black men ‘monkeys’? - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 18:44
- SHOEDUNIT: Man cuffed in Spain’s Andalucia after hiding kilo of hash in trainers - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 14:58
- Spain’s FIRST boutique hotel with craft beer microbrewery opens on Costa del Sol - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 13:25
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35