MALAGA Town Hall has announced a new pop art exhibition at the Centre for Contemporary Art (CAC), amid a management crisis.
The venue, which has recently seen a takeover by the Council, is set to host the event from mid-May to the end of June.
American painter Mark Ryden, a prolific figure of the 1970s Pop Surrealist movement, is one of dozens of international talents to be exhibited at the show.
Known as ‘the godfather of pop surrealism’, his mysterious work draws on everything from 17th century French literature, to old toys, and even meat.
Not one to be confined by medium, Ryden also produced an album, The Gay Nineties Old Tyme Music (2004), featuring Tyler The Creator, Katy Perry and Nick Cave, among others.
Ryden, whose previous CAC exhibition was the most popular ever at the gallery, with 102,800 visitors, will be joined by KAWS, James Jarvis, Erik Parker, Hajime Sorayama and more.
One of the main highlights of the show will be work by London-born Jarvis, an illustrator, toy designer and pioneer of the soft vinyl designer toy revolution.
It comes after a row broke at the CAC, as 17 staff from its Oleo restaurant were sacked, while 22 workers have denounced the Town Hall over contract disputes.
A Town Hall takeover prompted employees to issue a joint statement, in which they accuse city chiefs of ‘violating their rights’ by leaving them out of contract negotiations.
- OPINION: Celebrities are pushing Mallorca’s positive image at the moment and the season has not even started - 26 May, 2019 @ 12:15
- Jet2 removes Costa del Sol beaches from its website after Olive Press probe into raw sewage pumped into sea - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- Sea and air search launched for British diver and ex-soldier, 70, who vanished while diving in southern Spain - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:18
- British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, found dead on Spain’s Costa del Sol after four days missing - 24 May, 2019 @ 12:22
- GSD blasts Bet365’s Brexit move to shift Gibraltar operations to Malta as over 500 staff could be relocated - 24 May, 2019 @ 11:47
- Bet365 to relocate 1,000 staff from Gibraltar office to Malta in HUGE €70 million move over Brexit fears - 23 May, 2019 @ 17:53
- Largest ever cocaine haul made in Spain’s Sevilla as 1000 kilos of the drug smuggled in banana truck - 23 May, 2019 @ 16:03
- ‘HUMOUR HAS NO LIMITS’: Man in Spain defends his jokes about little Julen who died down well - 23 May, 2019 @ 12:37
- Spain’s Julio Iglesias is ‘willing’ to do DNA test to find out if Spanish lovechild is really his - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:18
- Police arrest 30 in Costa del Sol gigalo ring that lured young men with FAKE escort jobs, netting ringleaders €700,000 - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:33