VOX’S top candidate for Benidorm mayor has been replaced after it was revealed he received a two-year prison sentence for repeated domestic violence last February.
Prison sentences under two years are often waived in Spain, if the accused has no previous criminal record, but the February 27 verdict prohibited David Pérez Brigido from running in an election.
Pérez Brigido was found guilty of domestic violence following ‘repeated abuse’ of his ex-wife, whom he frequently ‘shoved, threw her to the ground, pulled her hair and punched her in the face’.
The Pamplona judge, where Pérez Brigido was resident until just months previously, also found the accused frequently ‘insulted’ and ‘demeaned’ his ex-wife, who was left troubled by post-traumatic stress.
A spokesperson for Vox said the party ‘did not know’ about their top pick for mayor’s background, saying that ‘in Vox, as a party, no case like David’s is tolerated and never will be tolerated’.
The former number-two, Diego del Castillo Gómez-Cambronero, has now been bumped up to the top spot.
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29