VOX’S top candidate for Benidorm mayor has been replaced after it was revealed he received a two-year prison sentence for repeated domestic violence last February.
Prison sentences under two years are often waived in Spain, if the accused has no previous criminal record, but the February 27 verdict prohibited David Pérez Brigido from running in an election.
Pérez Brigido was found guilty of domestic violence following ‘repeated abuse’ of his ex-wife, whom he frequently ‘shoved, threw her to the ground, pulled her hair and punched her in the face’.
The Pamplona judge, where Pérez Brigido was resident until just months previously, also found the accused frequently ‘insulted’ and ‘demeaned’ his ex-wife, who was left troubled by post-traumatic stress.
A spokesperson for Vox said the party ‘did not know’ about their top pick for mayor’s background, saying that ‘in Vox, as a party, no case like David’s is tolerated and never will be tolerated’.
The former number-two, Diego del Castillo Gómez-Cambronero, has now been bumped up to the top spot.
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04