A BRITISH holidaymaker has been branded ‘demeaning’ after tipping cleaning staff with half-used toiletries following a Benidorm holiday.
Louise Wagstaff published pictures of her ‘gifts’ on social media, which included a pair of unwanted sunglasses, baby oil, Radox shower gel, Alberto Balsam shampoo, body spray and a mesh shower pouf.
Thoughtfully penning a note in Spanish, she thanked the cleaners for their hard work and offered toys and sweets in case ‘they have little ones’.
But the post led to a backlash of condemnation as almost 200 people commented on the post on Benidorm Seriously until admin had to shut the debate down.
One person said: “I’m thinking the cleaners would appreciate some €€€€ as a tip rather than the leftover toiletries, I find it rather demeaning, would anyone leave the cleaners in the UK hotels left over shampoo as a tip for cleaning?”
Ian said of the leftovers: “The staff work hard for very poor wages. Instead of insulting them with all the crap you would throw away anyway do the decent thing and leave a decent cash tip (at least 1 Euro per day).
“You spend thousands on your Benidorm holiday but you can’t afford to leave a decent tip?
The admin, Tracy, however rushed to Louise’ defence, writing: “Unbelievable someone does something nice for a change and get abuse for it.
“Post Closed, please respect your fellow members, everyone is entitled to a difference of opinion, but please think about how that opinion comes across in the written word, read it back to yourself before pressing ok x.
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29