STRIKING binmen and dirty dogs have left Alicante at the bottom of the list of Spain’s filthiest cities.
It is a small deterioration, as Alicante, rated as the second-dirtiest in Spain after Jaen, was rated as third bottom the previous year.
The study asked more than 5,620 residents of 60 Spanish cities to rate waste management in seven different factors.
Alicante came out worst in Spain for ‘rubbish left around containers’ and second-worst for ‘animal excrement’.
Elche was rated in the top 20 cleanest Spanish cities.
Residents there pay €20 more for waste services, at €67 per person per year. Meanwhile Alicante has been hit by strikes over low-pay and deterioration of equipment.
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29